April is here. Enjoy it cuz you've got just one month before the Summer Movie season explodes and from what I've been hearing it's gonna be a bloodbath. Week after Week we've got Huge tentpole movies and some fine franchises are gonna be dead in the water before they've even hit Saturday night. It's not like Mel Gibson's The Beaver can survive a blow from Thor's hammer. And good luck Green Lantern, I'm betting you're gonna be Cars 2's roadkill.
But that's a problem for the bankers. Us movie geeks are gonna have ourselves some fun. Anyway, here are the flicks I'm craving.
5. Transformers: Dark of the Moon: Really? Yeah, and I'm as surprised as you are. After the embarrassingly awful Revenge of the Fallen, I should be screaming for Michael Bay's head on a stake but I've gotta say the whole Moon conspiracy angle and the Chicago destruction seen in the Super Bowl spot above has got me stoked. And I want to believe that Bay is making penance for Part 2 with this over-the-top extravaganza. Plus, today we've just learned that Leonard Nimoy is returning to the world of Autobots and Decepticons as the voice of the moon-stranded Sentinal Prime. So as long as they keep the potty humor to a minimum (and ditch those awkward racial stereotype bots), I think we're gonna be entertained.
4. Super 8: I'm still not 100% sold on this picture, but this splash of Spielberg porn could be quite entertaining. An angry E.T.? Plus, in 2009 JJ Abrams crafted one of my personal favorite Summer Movies of recent memory with the Star Trek sequel/reboot, and that alone guarantees my butt in his theater for at least his next three or four movies.
3. X-Men First Class: I love Matthew Vaughn's Kick-Ass. A brilliant, demented send-up of the superhero genre. And now, Vaughn gets his mitts on one of the most popular franchises in comicdom and what does he do? Drops the muties into the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Yep, an X-Men period piece is right up my ally. Oh, and I can't wait to see Kevin Bacon's Sebastian Shaw! He has the potential to me grotesquely villainous.
2. Captain America The First Avenger: Thanks to Ed Brubaker's recent run on the comic, Captain America has become my favorite Marvel superhero. Then you have Tommy Lee Jones' USA All The Way speech and Stanley Tucci's "a weak man" explanation and suddenly I've got goosebumps all over. And Joe Johnston directed The Rocketeer, so I know he can depict American Machismo bashing Nazi villainy perfectly. I dig this trailer so much, it's a shame that Cap has to enter the modern world at all with 2012's Avengers flick.
1. Cowboys and Aliens: I don't know if you already know this about me, but I love Westerns. But what I love more than Westerns are Weird Westerns. And there aren't too many of those...that are good anyway, From Dusk Till Dawn 3, maybe? And Jon Favreau? Yeah, those Iron Man flicks are okay but the movie I think he really knocked outta the park is one most seem to have forgotten. Zathura, a flick that perfectly captured that nostalgia sci-fi of yesteryear. Can he put out a Spielbergian John Ford Western? God, I hope so. Definitely, dig that cast. When was the last time Harrison Ford looked as badass as he does in the above trailer? It sure wasn't K-19 The Widowmaker.