Friday, March 18, 2011
A Fistfull of Hobos! (Matt's Picks)
As Brad said, in honor of the upcoming film, five of my favorite film hobos.
5. Boxcar Bertha (Barbara Hershey): A strange waif, she manages to befriend some tough hombres and get stuff done.
4. Bum (Bonnie Aarons): I’m never going behind Winkey’s, no matter how many blue boxes and keys you offer me. Never. Scaryass Bum.
3. Street Schizo (Alice Cooper): He’s got a message. But frankly, I don’t want to hear it.
2. Miette (Judith Vittet): A streetwise little girl working as a thief, she is willing to go the distance to help her friends. When she hooks up with Ron Perlman’s circus strongman, they make a dynamic duo of lost souls on a quest to find some missing kids.
1. Nada (Roddy Piper): This dude knows how to get by, and he just wants a fair shake. But when he puts on some magic sunglasses and sees that the world is being run by pizza-faced aliens, he can’t just stand by. He’s gonna take ‘em down, no matter how many cardboard boxes they throw in his way. (And an Honorable Mention to his sparing partner and companion Frank Armitage, played to sunglass hating perfection by Keith David).