Tuesday, May 24, 2011

New Release Tuesday (5/24/11)!!!

Must Buy DVD of the Week!


THE GREAT DICTATOR (CRITERION BLU):  For the third week in a row Criterion takes the top spot for New Release Tuesday!  I'm seriously not trying to turn ITMOD into a commercial site for that company (they are also responsible for some questionable releases like Dazed & Confused and Armageddon afterall), but you also can't deny that they are a truly amazing company.  I should also say that I am a newbie when it comes to the genius of Charlie Chaplin and it is because of Criterion's last release that I even bothered with Modern Times.  Well, that film was amazing and I was stunned at how Chaplin's silent comedy still managed to feel extremely (no pun intended) modern.  So, now, I'm quite excited to see how Chaplin moves into the world of the Talkie.  And how he handles such an abrasive topic as Hitler and Nazi Germany.  Plus, that Olly Moss cover above might be the single best piece of art associated with Criterion.


Buy!


PAPILLON (BLU):  It's been a long time since I've seen this movie, but I remember thoroughly enjoying this WWII Prison Break flick with another grand star performance from Steve McQueen, ten years after his turns in Bullit and The Great Escape.  Dustin Hoffman has never been a favorite of mine and even though I probably wouldn't have cast him in this film, I can't really hate on him here either.  Again, curious to see if this lives up to my memory.



FIGHTING MAD/MOVING VIOLATION:  Shout Factory gives us another exploitation double feature of two flicks I've never seen, but am quite excited to get my hands on.  The first one, Fighting Mad, stars Peter Fonda as a farmer who wages war on villainous land owners.  It also stars Scott Glenn and it was written and directed by Jonathan Demme (The Silence of the Lambs, Something Wild).  Moving Violation is another flick I haven't seen, but this one has even cooler casting with Stephen McHattie (Watchmen, A History of Violence) in a rare leading role as a drifter harassed by a no-good sheriff.  Could this be a low budget Rambo?  Fingers crossed.





EAT MY DUST!/GRAND THEFT AUTO:  Another Roger Corman Cult Classic double feature from Shout Factory and another two films that I've never seen before.  My enthusiasm for them is several notches below this week's other double bill release, and that's mainly due to Ron Howard's involvement.  That's a man I've just never been able to muster much anticipation for whether it's the films he's starred in or directed.  Still, I love this era and I do enjoy car crashes.




Rent!


SOLARIS (CRITERION BLU):  This might just end up being a Buy! since it's nearly impossible to get Criterion Blu Rays for rent, but I'm also not a huge fan of this film either.  I love Stanislaw Lem's original novel and I kinda prefer the George Clooney remake over this extremely long and slow burning Russian film.  Still, I really want to see the pretty of the Criterion Blu.  We'll just have to see what I do.



GODS AND GENERALS (BLU):  Speaking of over-long and slow burning films, I haven't seen Gods and Generals since it's initial three and half hour theatrical release (the Director's Cut adds yet another hour!) and I remember not being too impressed with the film, but I also remember thoroughly enjoying Stephen Lang's zealot Stonewall Jackson and I've been hankering to see this Civil War epic again.

Avoid!


I AM NUMBER FOUR:  Despite a decent appearance from man-crush Timothy Olyphant, I Am Number Four is a total bore.  Alex Pettyfer can join the ranks of Channing Tatum and Cam Gigggggaaadent as another teen heart throb I want nothing to do with ever again.  Basically, DJ Caruso gives us Twilight with aliens and if that sounds appealing to you than we just have nothing in common.  If you want a flick with a similar premise that's actually good than I suggest you check out John Carpenter's Starman.



GNOMEO & JULIET:  I don't get it.  And I don't want to.

--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment