Wednesday, February 29, 2012

We'll Miss You, Davy Jones


Just got a phone call from The Wife about the passing of Monkees frontman Davy Jones.  As a teen, she was obsessed with The Monkees the way most girls were about The Backstreet Boys or 98 Degrees or whatever.  And she turned me into a bit of a Monkees fanatic myself.  Last year, we were able to see Davy, Peter, & Micky perform (Mike, of course, doesn't cotton to that kind of thing anymore) at the Wolf Trap Theater and we had a blast.

But before I met her, I knew the band primarily through early morning Nick at Night reruns and movie cameos.  Her uncontainable joy quickly infected my leanings for geek obsessing, and we've now collected all the old tv episodes as well as a decent collection of memorabilia and the beautifully bizzare Criterion Collection edition of HEAD.  A film that mocks and celebrates the 1960s in a way films like Easy Rider couldn't dream to achieve.

So, it's with a sad heart that I say goodbye to Davy.




--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment