Tuesday, November 1, 2011

New Release Tuesday (11/1/11)!!!

Must Buy DVD of the Week!


THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (BLU):  Halloween might be behind us, but that doesn't mean we have to give up on the trick or treating.  This new blu ray of the classic silent horror is loaded with special features including the original 1925 edit and two different 1929 edits.  The disc also contains three specially commissioned musical scores one of which is from Alloy Orchestra, which Matt & I were able to experience first hand last week at the AFI Silver screening in Maryland.  Having just watched this film, I must give it my highest reccomendation.  Lon Chaney is just breathtaking as the twisted freak fueled by unreasonable love.

Rent!


TRESPASS:  Nicolas Cage and Joel Schumacher team up again (we all remember the glories of 8MM, right?) for this home invasion thriller and they drag Nicole Kidman into their Direct-to-DVD underworld.  I love Nic Cage as much as anyone, but considering this film's buzz, even I'm not going to blind buy this charmer.  Trailer below seems to depict a rather average adventure.




CRAZY STUPID LOVE:  Steve Carell (Dinner for Schmucks, Date Night) movies just haven't been doing it for me, but Ryan Gosling movies (Drive, The Ides of March) have definitely been on the up & up.  This looks like romantic comedy pap but I've heard good things from friends with somewhat decent film taste.  It's a Netflix.


WATER FOR ELEPHANTS:  Speaking of pap...actually, Water For Elephants was nowhere near the tripe that I thought it was going to be.  Still can't stand Reese Witherspoon and Christoph Waltz is soooooooo on-the-nose with his scummy Mr. Big Top but I did enjoy the Depression era circus setting and it's a given fact that you can't hate on a film with Hal Holbrook.  Even if he's only in it for seconds.


BUNRAKU:  This is another one that is probably complete and utter dreck, but the cast & trailer below is just goofy enough to peak my interest.  That 'do on Ron Perlman...yeah, I want to see that in action.  Poor Josh Hartnett, though.  He was going to be the next big thing but he just couldn't make those 40 Days and 40 Nights work for him.  Oh well, it's Direct-to-DVD land for you even though I thought Lucky Number Slevin was a fine film.



Avoid!


CARS 2:  I love Pixar!  Up and Finding Nemo are two of my favorite films of the last decade, but these Cars movies hold no sway over me.  I never want to watch a film that features the voice of Larry the Cable Guy.  NEVER!  Even if Michael Caine is involved...I'd rather watch Jaws 4 100 more times than suffer that country "comedy."

--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment