Tuesday, November 15, 2011

New Release Tuesday (11/15/11)!

Buy!


THREE COLORS TRILOGY (CRITERION BLU):  Any other time of the year I'd probably just give this a rent, but with the Barnes & Noble 50% sale in full effect I figure you can't really beat these three films for 30 bucks.  Honestly, I've actually never seen a single one of these movies and I'm kinda tired of not being one of the cool kids.  And how can any self respecting film fan turn their backs on the below Three Reason videos.




EVIL DEAD 2 (BLU):  If I force myself to pick a favorite Deadite movie I guess I gotta go with Evil Dead 2. I love the low budget horror of the original film and the Three Stooges mania of Army of Darkness, but its the red fountain splatstick of the second film that really brings a smile to my face.  Bruce Campbell fighting himself, loosing it, mental crackdown laughing howls as the dead torture him...just doesn't get any better than that.


HUMONGOUS:  I saw this a long, long time ago.  It's been at least 20 years.  I remember it really giving me the uncomfortable heebie jeebies.  Having recently just watched David DeCoteau rant about it over at Trailers From Hell I'm ready to drop the cash for it.



Rent!


BELLFLOWER:  MSN says it's "A mix of John Hughes, Mad Max, and Fight Club."  I don't know what the hell that means but I gotta find out.




BEGINNERS:  Ewan McGregor and his adventures with his homosexual father Christopher Plummer?  Done.  And I'm very curious to see Melanie Laurent in a less Basterdy performance.  Doubt this will make my Top Ten List at the end of the year, but you never know.

Avoid!


LARRY CROWNE:  I'm a Tom Hanks guy.  If you're not, than I just don't get you.  That being said, this was a tremendously disappointing directorial follow up to That Thing You Do.  Julia Roberts is nearly unbearable in her bitchy professor role and I'm sure if another actress had been cast than this film would have been a lot better--not great or even good, but better.  Larry Crowne is just pap.  Easily dismissable.  Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment