Friday, September 6, 2013

Comic Review: Lost Cat



    As I’ve done several times before (here, here, here, here, here, here, and here), I read this latest book from Jason with a smile on my face…and deep concern on my brow.  If you haven’t read Jason, stop what you’re doing, go to your local comic shop/book store/(or if need be) internet site and get a copy of, well any of his books.  I think I’d suggest starting with The Last Musketeer, but there are so many good ones.  Get it.  Read it.  And then come back.


    OK, now that you’re back, let me get on with this Lost Cat review.  This time ‘round, Jason introduces us to a Sam Spade/Philip Marlow type detective, who needs some money.  A lost cat might do the trick.  From there, the usual unusual things begin to happen.  Femme fatales, jilted lovers, aliens (?), an awful old guy, paintings, a robot.  And it’s all done in that special way, that quiet, reserved, melancholic way that Jason slaps you so hard with.  I get a similar feeling reading his books to what I experience watching Coen Brothers films.  If you write down the plot, there’s not much there.  Yet, within the spaces, there’s a universe of anxiety, pain, bafflement, and resigned humor.  I love it.


    I’m not going to go into the plot of this particular book, or even point out certain highlights.  I’m just going to say that Jason is one of the most consistently enjoyable writers or artists working in the field today.  Every time I read a book by him, it’s like a breath of fresh air, blowing in from lost summers of youth.  Until his next book, I’m done blubbering on about how great he is.  You need to go find out for yourself.



Lost Cat
Author/Artist: Jason
Publisher: Fantagraphics Books
ISBN: 978-1-60699-642-3

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment