After watching Jupiter Ascending and Kingsman: The Secret Service, I want to take a look at some of Cinema’s best wacky, over the top, out there villains. There are many, of course. And I’m sure we all have some favorites. I’ve been seeing some serious shade thrown at Eddie Redmayne’s particular performance in Jupiter Ascending, but I thought he was one of the best parts of the movie. Anyway, here are my top five.
5. Kasper Gutman (The Maltese Falcon): A wonderfully erudite and civilized gentleman criminal, he chuckles and blubbers his way through a crime caper, attempting to orchestrate the great heist. “I’ll tell you right out, I am a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk.”
4. Mugatu: (Zoolander): He invented the piano-key necktie. What have you done? This fashion forward madman will not let you bleeding hearts stop slave labor from making your clothing.
3. Dominic Hoffo (Slaughter): This sweaty, racist pig has had it up to here with rug-headed mob boss Mario. And his day sure doesn’t get better when tough hombre Slaughter gets friendly with his buxom lady. His fiery end is kind of amazing. Maybe one of the most amazing things ever filmed.
2. Sir August de Wynter (The Avengers): A man should never be afraid to get wet.
|That's SIR Sean Connery, my friend.|
1. Jean-Babtiste Emanuel Zorg (The Fifth Element): The weirdly Southern business mogul and servant of evil, he doesn’t mind a little chocolate syrup dripping off his salad bowl hat. And he knows how to deal with gun-hungry alien soldiers.
-Matthew J. Constantine