Friday, September 2, 2011

A Fistful of Fall Anticipation! (Matt’s Picks)


    OK, so the Summer is over and it’s time for our list of most anticipated films of the autumn movie season.  Honestly, this doesn’t look like a really amazing end of the year, but then, the summer didn’t look all that great, either, yet had plenty of gems. 

5.  Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows:  I loved the first film and I’m very excited about plopping my hard earned cash down for another round of fun.  Some nice additions to the cast, and what looks like a cool setting should make for more solid entertainment.


4.  Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame:  Though Tsui Hark is hit and miss for me, I’m always willing to give Andy Lau a watch.  And this story, based loosely on the Di Renjie tales, looks like a lot of adventurous steam age fun.  

3.  The Muppets:  I’m a lifelong lover of all things Jim Henson.  The Muppets have always tickled my fancy, and I’m always glad to see a new film.


2.  The Rum Diaries:  Yeah, I like Johnny Depp.  I like Hunter S. Thompson.  And this movie looks to be another solid mix of the two.


1.  A Dangerous Method:  I never would have thought, watching a rabies infected penis pop out of Marilyn Chambers' armpit in Rabid, or seeing a giant centipede Julian Sands have his way with a young man in Naked Lunch, that one day, I’d be looking forward to the new drama from David Cronenberg.  Love the cast.  And I love pensive and thoughtful Cronenberg, and can’t wait for this.


    There are a few other films I’m certainly interested in checking out.  In Time looks like it could be an interesting science fiction tale.  Harold & Kumar will be back, and they’re always worth a watch.  Immortals could be cool, and should look good, if nothing else.  I’m curious about Hugo.  And the new versions of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo make my ‘to see’ list.  So, it could be a busy end of the year, even if it starts off pretty slow.




-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment