Monday, March 12, 2012
A Fistful of Names! (Matt’s Picks)
In spite of Disney’s complete botching of the publicity campaign for John Carter (OF MARS!!!), we figured we’d honor its release with some of our favorite character name titles.
5. Sherlock Holmes: This updating of the classic adventure detective novels took a lot of flack for being…well, exciting. With all the down and dirty fisticuffs and daring adventure of the stories, not just the upper class studies and sound stages of the Basil Rathbone films, it re-awakened this adventure fan’s interest in the great detective.
4. Truck Turner: You don’t want this bounty hunter on your trail. Tough, cool, connected, and packing, Truck Turner will knock you out.
3. Jeremiah Johnson: A movie starring almost exclusively the sleep inducing Robert Redford as a mountain man? Gotta admit, I went in expecting to absolutely HATE this film. I mean, I really don’t care for Redford as a rule, and it just looked like it was going to be so boring. But, shock of shocks, not only did I like the movie, but it was the first film where I genuinely liked Redford. Sure, he’s fine in Sneakers, but that character could have been played by anyone. He’s actually really good in this.
2. Austin Powers: An international man of mystery, Powers is a super-spy of the highest order, and a lover of even greater skill. Sure, maybe he’s got unsightly hair, a classic British smile, and he’s stuck in the wrong decade. But he knows how the birds like to get shagged, and he’s always willing to oblige.
1. Amelie: A cute young woman, wide-eyed and naïve, gets it in her head to fix the world, one person at a time. What follows are a series of strange encounters and unexpected chains of events as Amelie creates and finds love.