Friday, May 31, 2013

Dork Art: Richard Sala's Fin Fang Foom


Sometime back I wrote a review of Richard Sala's The Hidden for Daily Grindhouse.  Since then I've paid a lot of attention to his tumblr.  There you'll find rifts on Nosferatu, Batman, and violent Trekkie girls.  It's a wonderland of weird.  But this Fin Fang Foom is without a doubt the best thing he's ever done...or at least my favorite.  The Kaiju with Purple Pants has always haunted my dreamscape.  He's a Godzilla knockoff created by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby, for a one-shot issue of Strange Tales, that eventually worked his way into Iron Man's rogues gallery.  What's the deal with the purple pants?  Did he steal them from the Hulk?  I have no idea.  But I kinda love them.  And when I see modern artists portray the beast without the pants it kinda upsets me.  I own two statues of Fin Fang Foom and I'm still waiting for him to make an Avengers movie appearance - Hey!  Guardians of the Galaxy is happening!!!  So Fin Fang Foom is a total possibility in this mad world we now occupy.

--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment