Tuesday, April 26, 2011

New Release Tuesday (4/26/11)!!!

Must Buy of the Week!


BLOW OUT (CRITERION BLU RAY):  9 times out of ten, you can pretty much buy any Criterion dvd sight unseen and know that you're going to get your money's worth.  1981's Blow Out is the Ultimate Brian DePalma movie.  It's got those fantastic not-quite-Alfred Hitchcock, not-quite Dario Argento film angles.  That over-the-top, supernatural Pino Donaggio film score pulsing through the characters.  And the troubled, creepy violence of John Lithgow.  And sorry Pup Fiction, Get Shorty, Face Off, Grease, Swordfish, Wild Hogs fans, Blow Out is the best film in John Travolta's cannon.  But why don't I just let Criterion tell you why you gotta have this in your collection.



Buy!


FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS (CRITERION BLU RAY):  The only reason this isn't my Must Buy of the Week! is because I've had the Criterion Standard for years now.  Fear and Loathing is a monster of a movie that I really can't watch all the time.  In fact, I haven't watched it in a couple of years because it's just so damn intense of a movie.  Terry Gilliam goes all out with the Hunter Thompson visual assault and it hurts my brain sometimes.  Genius, but it's not a Saturday Night kinda movie.  Beward of Bat Country.



THE TERROR (BLU RAY):  Okay, so this was on my New Release Tuesday (3/29/11) list but for some horrible reason The Terror got pushed back till today.  I won't go again into the details of why this must be own, but damn, I'm excited to get my copy.

Rent!


AVENGERS EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES VOLUMES 1 & 2:  I have yet to see a single episode from this new Disney produced series and I have my fingers seriously crossed cuz Warner Brothers has been spanking Marvel left and right with their excellent Direct-to-Dvds and I have yet to see a Marvel animated product that captures the spirit of the comics (well, that last Spider-Man cartoon came close at times).  And if there could come any happy news outta the Disney merger, maybe, just maybe we can get some high quality Marvel shows.  




SNIPER RELOADED:  I'm sure this Direct-to-DVDer is a load of garbage, but--It's A Sequel To Sniper Starring Billy Zane!!!!!  I gotta see it!  Sniper was one of those films from the 90s like Solo or No Escape that captured my young teenage heart.  Simplistic, silly action with lots and lots of grandstanding.  And I'm always ready to see Zoolander's Billy Zane behind the scope.


CHAWZ:  Hey, do you want to see a Korean pseudo-remake of JAWS starring a wild, rampaging Boar in the place of Bruce the Shark?  Of course, you do.  Plus, I love how the trailer below reminds me of one of my favorite somewhat forgotten teen novel The Boar by Joe R. Lansdale.  If you haven't read that then get yourself to ebay and buy a ridiculously expensive copy.




DINOSHARK:  Why stop with the Direct-to-Dvd shenanigans, Dinoshark is the latest Roger Corman monster mashup that's taken over the SyFy Channel and even though it stars the uber-dreadful Eric Balfour I'm curious to see the rampage.  As you know, I am a sucker for Roger Corman's Just Do It productions.


--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment