Monday, May 30, 2011

New Release Tuesday (5/31/11)!!!

Must Buy DVD of the Week!


DRIVE ANGRY 3D:  If you've followed this blog at all than you know we here at ITMOD are true connoisseurs for all mad things Nicolas Cage, but it's not just that special brand of insanity that pops this beauty on the top spot this week.  It's also the fact that director Patrick Lussier (Dracula 2000, My Bloody Valentine 3D) has crank'd out a grotesque homage to that special 1970s Roger Corman era that produced my favorite exploitation flicks.  Stuff like Race With The Devil and Death Race 2000.  Blood, Bullets, and Octane.  And you've got Twilight's Charlie Mustache Billy Burke as my current favorite Satanist.  Don't let the critics bully you, just sit back and enjoy the mayhem.


 Buy!


ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (BLU RAY):  For my money, this is the perfect Segio Leone Western.  Don't get me wrong, I love Clint as much as the next dork but Once Upon A Time In The West has child-killer Henry Fonda and Harmonica maestro Charles Bronson squaring off in an epic battle of slow-burn standoff.  Throw in Jason Robards, his whisky soaked beard, and sexy Claudia Cardinale for good measure.  I think it might be the same transfer from the two-disc standard release from a few years back, but I'm still stoked to see this on blu.


LEGEND (BLU RAY):  Sure, Legend is not the greatest movie every made but it sure has its moments.  Ridley Scott's hazy cinematography, some all-or-nothing set design, Darkness fantastic makeup, and Tim Curry's terrifying voice.  The last time I saw this was the Director's Cut standard def release from a ways back, but I remember liking the changes and I sure as heck didn't miss the Tangerine Dream score.  Sure it looks pretty on blu.




A MAN CALLED HORSE (BLU RAY):  Sure, it's no Once Upon A Time In The West but A Man Called Horse is one of the better White Indian stories that have plagued Westerns since the beginning.  Richard Harris sells this picture.



STANLEY KUBRICK VISIONARY FILMMAKER COLLECTION (BLU RAY):  It's hard for me to get too excited about this release.  A lot of these flicks have already gotten the blu treatment and several of those are already on my shelf.  But if you don't already have them than this is an essential set.  Lolita, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut.  This is some serious stuff.


Rent!


BIUTIFUL:  Just look at that above poster of Javier Bardem.  Don't you just want to run out and grab the blu ray right away!  Me, I've heard good things.  But having watched Rabbit Hole and The Other Woman recently I'm not really in the mood to jump right back in to the genre of the uber-depressing.  Still, gotta check this out eventually.



PASSION PLAY:  By all accounts (including that of star Mickey Rourke) this is a terrible movie, but I gotta admit to being lured in by that cast...well, not Megan Fox, she's frickin' awful.  But Rourke and Bill Murray duking it out over a fallen stripper angel.  Yeah, I gotta Netflix this.




NEVER APOLOGIZE:  Malcom McDowell waxing poetic about his eccelctic career?  Yes, please.



Avoid?


CROSS:  Well, maybe we'll give Passion Play a pass but only the deepest, darkest part of my movie soul wants to see Brian Austin Green's super hero go up against Vinnie Jones' Viking and his Satan Stick.  Plus you've got paycheck cashers Michael Clarke Duncan, Tom Sizemore, and Jake Busey spitting mindbender lines like "Wait till they get a load of my balls."  


--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment