Friday, June 7, 2013

The Mighty Avengers aka The Black Avengers?


Marvel Comics has just unveiled their latest Avengers book (those keeping count, we already have The Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Assemble, Avengers Arena, & Young Avengers) and it is Mighty.  Apparently spinning out of Jonathan Hickman's Infinity event series, The Mighty Avengers will consist mostly of African American characters with the token Superior Spider-Man and the mean green machine She-Hulk tagging along. Editor Tom Breevort once teased of a Black Avengers being released around Black History Month and as a direct result from Dwayne McDuffe's efforts.  I love me some Luke Cage and as you know I'm a sucker for 70s Blaxploitation movies, but this book feels a little odd.  How much will race play into it?  I'm guessing they're going to address it as little as possible.  It's probably going to be one of those right heroes/ right time kind of assemblage.  The real question is going to be the writing.  Al Ewing?  What have you done for me lately?  But I want White Tiger to be cool.  I want Ronin to kick ass.  I want Luke Cage to lead.  The Falcon is a great side character that never gets enough love outside of a Brubaker comic.  Fingers crossed.



--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment