Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Review: Kolchak: The Night Stalker- The Lost World


    Kolchak: The Night Stalker was a fantastic show.  Two movies and one season of a TV show from the 70s basically paved the way for later shows like The X-Files and Fringe.  The tale of one obnoxious reporter to followed stories wherever they took him, no matter how strange or terrible the eventual outcome, makes for great TV.  When I heard it was being resurrected as a comic series, I was curious, but when I found out it was from ultra-small press, and frequently quality challenged Moonstone, my interest waned.  But, last month, when a small mass market paperback drifted past me at my job, I snapped it right up.  A Kolchak novel?  124 pages?  4.99?  I think I’ve heard of this C.J. Henderson person.  Why not?


    And I got my money’s worth.  It’s a fun, quick read.  Basically an extended episode in book form, without the location shooting restrictions that would have made its Ecuador excursion impossible.  Not a great story, but not bad.  Something about seventy-two chanting people in the jungle.  The writing isn’t too bad.  Captures Kolchak’s slightly burnt, sarcastic reporter vibe.  The ending was a bit anti-climactic, and the characters being moved to L.A. in the modern day didn’t do anything for me.  I’d rather read it as a period novel, embracing the 70s feel of the show.  However, considering how low my expectations were for a media tie-in novel from Moonstone, it wasn’t bad.  And I’d like to see them produce more, maybe better books.  I’d read a Kolchack novel every few months, no prob.



Kolchak: The Night Stalker: The Lost World
Author: C.J. Henderson
Publisher: Moonstone Entertainment Inc.
ISBN: 978-1-936814-16-9
Pages: 124

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment