Saturday, March 31, 2012

Comic Review: The Amazing Screw-On Head


    There are a few people working in the comic field who sometimes make me think they might just be writing to or for me.  Kurt Busiek, Warren Ellis, and maybe nobody more so than Mike Mignola.  And with The Amazing Screw-On Head, he’s put out yet another bunch of off-beat fun that tickles more than one of my fancies.


    The title story, which I’d first experienced as an animated short several years ago, is an enjoyable bit of retro heroic nuttiness, with its uncompromisingly can-do hero, amusing villain, and guest appearance from Mr. Abe Lincoln.  There are several other fun stories in the volume, too.


    But the real treat for me was How Doctor Snap Murdered Professor Cyclops and what Came of It.  Or -- The Prisoner of Mars.  The ‘what-what’ tallyho! British unflappability of the characters and the total bug-nuts nature of the story had me laughing my buttocks off.  Bloody Martians!  The whole thing reminded me of one of Lord Dunsany’s Jorkens tales.


    For any fan of Mignola’s brand of past shrouded, pulp infused, grim humor filled genius, this is a must read volume.  Check it out.



The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curious Objects
Author/Artist: Mike Mignola
Publisher: Dark Horse Books
ISBN: 978-1-59582-501-8
Pages:

No comments:

Post a Comment