Friday, September 2, 2011

A Fistful of Fall Anticipation! (Brad's Picks)


With the release of Shark Night 3D, Apollo 18, and Blackthorn (on VOD) today the Fall Movie Season is here!  It's about time is all I can say.  Don't get me wrong, I love the Summer Blockbusters but after four months of popcorn I need a little brain candy.  And as usual, The Fall offers up a wide variety of cinematic entertainment.

5.  Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy:  One of those books I remember enjoying quite a bit in High School, but 15 years on I can't remember a single thing about it.  For me, this flick is all about its trailer and its cast.  Colin Firth, Mark Strong, John Hurt, Tom Hardy, Toby Jones.  And I really need another vehicle to showcase Gary Oldman's talents (Tiptoes came close, but...).



4.  Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows:  The first film seemed to divide a few people into The Haters and The Lukewarm.  Personally, I loved the flick.  I'm a big time Holmes fan and I thought Guy Ritchie put together a fantastic Steampunky, Action Hero version and anyone bemoaning that it doesn't fit Arthur Conan Doyle's mold should really check out Basil Rathbone's Nazi Hunter Holmes.  So, I'll be ready to have a little Summer Fun in December.  And Jared Harris as Moriarty?  That's fantastic casting.


3.  The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo:  I couldn't make it through the book.  I was not particularly thrilled with the original adaptation.  However, as much as I liked Ben Button and The Social Network this is the genre David Fincher really knows how to get under my skin.  And he's assembled a pretty epic cast here:  Daniel Craig, Stellan Skarsgard, Christopher Plummer, Julian Sands, Goran Visnjic (ER!), and Robin Wright.  Plus, the girl herself Rooney Mara who creeps me the hell out with her look.  And has there been a cooler trailer concocted all year?


2.  A Dangerous Method:  Viggo Mortensen as Sigmund Freud and Michael Fassbender as Carl Jung in a film directed by David Cronenberg.  That's all I need to know, my ass is in the theater.  Now what the trailer offers below is a creepy, kinky relationship drama that would probably ruffle some middle American collars if they ever got out to see these kinds of flicks.  


1.  Drive:  Before San Diego Comic Con I had heard a few rumblings about this flick and since Bronson & Valhalla Rising I'd probably be somewhat interested in anything director Nicolas Wending Refn got his hands on, but after seeing some footage at the SDCC panel and listening to the cast rant on about the flick, Drive immediately jumped to the top spot of this year's most anticipated movies.  The trailer below looks great.  Stuntman/Wheelman Ryan Gosling gets mixed up in some of Albert Brooks underworld shenanigans and has to elevator stomp some bastards to make things right.  Along the way you've got heavy Ron Perlman, gimpy Bryan Cranston, and damsel Carrey Mulligan.  The footage we saw was slick & cool and scary with its bursts of violence.  It was the only time I heard the Hall H crowd gasp is shock/uncomfortable terror.  Can't wait.


--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment