Tuesday, September 20, 2011

New Release Tuesday (9/20/11)!!!

This might be the worst week for DVD/Blu-Ray releases that's come around in a while.  Hard to get excited about anything below, but there is always a...

Must Buy DVD of the Week!


THE STUFF:  Yeah, this has already hit DVD once and I've had it on my shelf for years.  But if you don't already have a copy than you absolutely must grab this new release from Image's Midnight Madness Series.  I've heard varying accounts about their transfers but even a crappy grain soaked dvd is worth it.  Larry Cohen made one weird sickie satire with The Stuff and it has one of the few, great Garrett Morris performances and Michael Moriarty is a pleasure as always.  Been too long since I've watched this, no excuse not to pop it into the player for October's Halloween-A-Thon.

And there are several other Midnight Madness flicks out today that are worth checking out, particularly the whacky Dead Heat with Treat Williams, Joe Piscopo, and Vincent Price!



Rent!


BRIDESMAIDS:  I really don't care about this movie.  But I'm also sick and tired of people telling me how damn funny it is, so I'm gonna have to give it a Netflix.  Still, I'm so bored with these gross-out comedies.


RIDDLE OF THE SANDS:  Two British yachtsman discover a bizarre German plot to invade the coast of England and set off on an adventure to foil their evil deeds.  Michael York and Jenny Agutter from Logan's Run team up once again and that's reason enough to check this flick out.  And there just is not enough WWI adventure films out there, right?  I've never seen it myself, but I'm looking forward to correcting that error.

 


THE KENNEDYS:  Here's another one I really don't care about but I'm still kinda curious about how this butchers history and I love a good, weird casting choice when I see it but Barry Pepper, Greg Kinnear, Katie Holmes, Tom Wilkinson...uh, okay.


SET UP:  Heard nothing but bad things about this film, but I find the pairing of 50 Cent, Ryan Phillippe, and Bruce Willis appealing in some train wreck kinda way.  But this is probably the last thing I'm going to rent on this list and as I said earlier I'm not that excited about any of it.



--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment