Friday, July 12, 2013
A Fistful of Titans! (Matt’s Picks)
Guillermo del Toro’s Kaiju VS Giant Robots movie Pacific Rim has finally hit theaters and it was a whole heck of a lot better than I expected. So this week, we’re looking at the coolest giants to lumber onto the big screen.
5. Leviathan (Hellraiser II: Hellbound) is Lord of the Labyrinth and not shy with irony. It’s probably a good idea to avoid going to hell. If that doesn’t work out, at least try to keep out of Leviathan’s black light beams. Trust me.
4. Shai-Hulud (Dune). Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him. May His passage cleanse the world. May He keep the world for His people.
3. Kronos (Kronos) was one of the original Greek Titans and the source of Zeus’ daddy issues. But Kronos was also a giant space robot that rampaged across the Southwest back in the 50s, and he was pretty cool…I mean, nasty.
2. Cthulhu (The Call of Cthulhu) spends much of his time sequestered in a secret location (I’ll give you a hint, it’s not in North Carolina). But once in a while, he likes to come out and see how the world is progressing, how those stars are turning. Hold on to your soul!
1. King Ghidorah (Ghidora the Three-Headed Monster) takes the Kaiju cake. When Ghidorah dropped down from space, it took the combined might of three other giants to drive the three headed monster away. A great, golden dragon shooting lightening out of three heads while flying around Japan. Awesome.