Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Fistful of Summer! (Matt’s Picks)


    So, 2012 has been a rough movie year for this Dork.  After the near constant barrage of awesome flicks last year, I’ve had few bright spots and a lot of major disappointments (Prometheus neck and neck with Hellboy 2 for biggest theatrical disappointments ever).  Assembling this list was hard, because I can only give a hearty yo-ho to numbers 1-3.  4 and 5 were good, but if they make my top 10 list at the end of the year, I won’t be too happy. 

5.  Lawless is a fairly forgettable movie that’s perfectly fine and well made, with a good cast and OK story.  But ask me about it in a couple months, and I’ll probably stare at you blankly (or more so than usual).


4.  The Dark Knight Rises was better than The Dark Knight (suck it!) if for no other reason than Batman felt like an integral part of the plot, not a supporting character/afterthought.  But it doesn’t hold a candle to Batman Begins.


3.  The Avengers was a shock for me, as I had little interest in it.  Up to the point it came out, Thor and the first two thirds of Captain America were the only Marvel films I was too all fired up about, and Joss Whedon hadn’t hit a homer since Firefly.  Color me pleasantly shocked.  It was really good.  A lot of fun.


2.  Moonrise Kingdom is all the awkward, cute, charming, and surreal pleasure you expect from a Wes Anderson film.  It reminded me a lot of the best parts of my childhood imaginings.


1.  The Expendables 2.  What? 



-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment