So, it’s been another year and Marvel/Disney keeps amping things up. The second Captain America just came out. Guardians of the Galaxy appears to be a real thing that is happening. I’ve seen the trailer. I don’t think it’s a hoax. They keep saying Ant-Man is really happening. And now I’m hearing a lot of rumor around Dr. Strange (come on, Mads Mikkelsen!) and a Black Widow spin-off. Madness. There’s also talk of a post WWII series about Agent Carter, which I think could be great (along with several NetFlix series that are supposed to build up to The Defenders…crazy). A year on, and I wanted to return to my hopes for Marvel films of the future. Especially with talk of their cinematic universe being mapped out to 2028 or some such. Here are some more of the Marvel characters I want to see them get serious about. If they can do Guardians of the Galaxy, they can do anything. And yes, I would absolutely pay money to see a Squirrel Girl movie.
5. Misty Knight & Colleen Wing, The Daughters of the Dragon: This pair of martial arts wielding detectives could be a great deal of fun to watch. My inclination would be to set this in the 1970s, but realistically I’m sure it would have to play more contemporary. Perhaps this could link in to the proposed NetFlix series centered around the Defenders. It seems more ‘ground level,’ less over the top super-power action.
4. Nova: It looks like the Nova Corps is going to be showing up in Guardians of the Galaxy, which I’m cool with. They’re basically like the Green Lantern Corps, except that DC/WB managed to screw that up royally like they do with everything other than Batman. So, here’s hoping Guardians gets a cosmic spin-off. This is the side of the Marvel Universe I most want to see explored. Let’s see Asgardians and Kree fighting, Nova Corps keeping the peace, and a Herald of Galactus (how about Nova?). See also; The Space Knights.
3. MODOK: Not just because he was born in my home town, I think MODOK needs a movie. This is in part because I like A.I.M., and think they should show up in the films, and because the Marvel movies need a couple big, long term villains. Hydra might be settling in to be one, but they need more recurring villains, and MODOK could be a really good fit.
2. Captain Marvel (either Monica Rambeau or Carol Danvers): A running theme in discussion of comic book movies is DC’s inability to pull its head out of its own butt. And one of the primary sources of this anatomical difficulty is their handling of women generally, and Wonder Woman specifically. There have been several people to take the title of Captain Marvel, but Rambeau and Danvers seem the most likely choices. I personally lean toward Rambeau. Captain Marvel could be the Wonder Woman movie DC can't figure out how to make.
1. Beta Ray Bill: A monster of science, designed to save a civilization, Beta Ray Bill and Thor butt heads, only to become brothers in arms. Beta Ray even models his costume on the Asgardian, and at one point proved himself worthy of wielding Thor’s Hammer.
There are, of course, countless other characters I’d love to see, story arcs that could be adapted. How about a variation of Marvels? Film right issues would mean several of that time spanning story’s events would have to be altered, but it could make for a powerful film if done right. What do they have planned? I don’t know. But the future of Marvel movies is bright. Very bright.
|Don't get a waif to play She-Hulk.|