Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"I Have What You Need!" - Jim Jarmusch Doesn't Sparkle With Only Lovers Left Alive


Jim Jarmusch makes movies that always leave me gobsmacked.  Ghost Dog, Mystery Train, Down By Law, Broken Flowers. Those are four wildly different films that I utterly cherish.  Dead Man, Coffee & Cigarettes, Limits of Control.  Those are three films I find fascinating, but ultimately confounding.  The man seems to thrill on distancing his stories from his audience.  I'm never fully participating in the narrative, I'm at arm's reach, but I'm also desperate to pull myself in.  When I first heard that he was tackling the vampire genre with Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston, my only thought was, "That sounds right."  Who knows where I'll ultimately fall on this film, but I'm certainly intrigued by the UK teaser.  It's just the type of film Hiddleston needs to drag his Loki fangirls into, and I'm absolutely including myself amongst that legion.



--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment