Monday, February 25, 2013

Dork Art: The Rest of Mondo's Oscars


I'm still processing last night's Awards Show.  You had your predicted winners (Argo, Daniel Day-Lewis) and a couple of upsets (Christoph Waltz, Quentin Tarantino), and then you had all that uncomfortable standup from Seth MacFarlane - I'm still trying to figure out if I hated him as host or loved him...I'm leaning toward's Ben Affleck's obvious Seth-Hate.  But the real frustration of the night came from the constant Mondo disappointment.  I don't even know why I bothered, but when I saw these Django posters go live I was scrambling to score some prints.  I came real darn close (I think) to sneaking away with a Rich Kelly Django, but lost out at the point of payment.  Damn.

Setting that dork sadness aside, I gotta say that the crop of prints revealed last night are some of Mondo's finest.  I love the Stout & Kelly of course, nothing new there - they're always excellent.  Kilian Eng's Argo is easily my favorite with it's Jack Kirby lovefest.  I just wish more of this bizarro subplot was explored in the film.  David Peterson's Brave print is even stronger than the actual film.  More of this image and less of the mother/daughter shenanigans and you could have had a real classic and not just a Just Cuz Oscar winner.






--Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment